Over the weekend, I spent a considerable amount of time looking at images of fabric necklaces and was amazed at how incredibly ugly the majority of them were. Just on Etsy alone, a search for fabric necklace brings up 9,850 items of which only a small percentage were at all attractive. Obviously, this is only my opinion and just as obviously I won't be illustrating my point of view because that would be rude but it did cause me to wonder if I could make (what I think is... ) a gorgeous piece. I love fabric. I love jewelry. The challenge of putting them together in a beautiful, wearable, someone else would actually want one of these too, or at least it gets a compliment, or it makes people look twice, kind of way, tickles. Not to sell. For the challenge. After reading Over-Dressed, I have even more opinions on sewing and selling and refashioning and zero waste but I'll save that for another posting. Right now, about my blouse.
This may be incredibly ugly as well. Or just lazy. Or simply indicative of the state of my life but either way, I was in no mood to make buttonholes especially after I realized that I'd measured the two fronts against each other at the edge and not at center front which meant one side was longer than the other. URGH! But...
... I wanted to know how the blouse fit and felt when I wore it so I sewed the buttons on with no holes, put it over my head, and wore it all day Saturday. No one noticed. I pointed it out to a few people (because I just had too...) and their reaction was too funny. It was a wearable muslin. I wore it. Now, I know what to do differently next time.
I was very aware of the pulling across the back as if it wasn't wide enough but in reality, it was the armhole that was the problem. Because the shoulders are too wide, the sleeve was slightly dropped, and there wasn't a full range of arm movement. I find it fascinating that something can be more closely but correctly fitted and feel far more comfortable than a garment with excess ease and improper fitting.
There's a little too much hip action in this photo but it illustrates my point. See how the upper back is too wide? When that's narrowed, the sleeve cap will sit higher and the armhole won't pull and it'll all lay in better. Once I'd shortened the length, there was too much as opposed to not enough hip ease so I'll narrow it out slightly along the princess seams in the back. Not too much. I don't want to over-fit.
With this version, I made a 1/2" narrow back adjustment and a 1 1/2" sway back adjustment. For the next one, I'll redraft with narrower shoulders and a higher sleeve cap and make a 1/2" narrow back adjustment, shorten CF and CB length by 1/2" and make a 1" sway back adjustment which will lift the curve of the princess seams to a higher, more flattering point, and adjust the finished length by 3 1/2".
From the front, you can see more clearly why the shoulders need narrowing. Otherwise, the bust point is correct and the finished ease is a comfortable amount. I like the length of the sleeve and the bicep and cap ease worked great. All good. All pointing to another version with...
... more fun in the mix. I bought this cotton print a few years ago. It's a bit strong for my face so the plan is to use it for the sleeves, side front and side back and to mix in more prints for the center front, center back, collar, and collar stand. Mixing is a bit difficult. It seems huge amounts of my stash is knit when I'm now ready to sew wovens again. How typical. BUT... I did get a lovely knit from MarcyTilton.com for Christmas that would be fun to mix with other knits and sew a knit blouse from. This one first.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - signs of spring