It was a month yesterday that I started exercising regularly. That seemed like the right amount of time for a weigh and measure. I've lost the grand total of 3.2 pounds so let's convert that to 417.48 kg (oops that should be 1.45 - not hard to tell I'm not a metric girl) since it's more reflective of the effort invested (actually it doesn't sound nearly as good so let's stick with the 3.2). I've also lost...
... 2" each on my upper and full bust and 1" each on my under bust, waist, and hips as well as 1/2" on my bicep which seems to indicate that with muscle development the weight loss might be equitable to ten pounds. Faster would be lovely so I wish it was more even as I'm rather proud of myself for doing the work and moving in the right direction. I'm actually enjoying running and look forward to it. WHAT a surprise.
Even so, it's going to take a little longer for my clothes to look better on me than my doll. As you can see in the earlier picture, there's a chance that the lining fabric may be visible at the sleeves. It's the only section without a facing. Worn on me, the lining is not so visible but perhaps because the garment is too tight.
Next time, I'd go up a size. This is a medium which is supposed to equate to a size 12-14 - my usual size - only it's snug overall and way too tight in the waist which I anticipated as I usually grade out for my waist and hips and it wasn't possible with this pattern. Medium was the largest pattern size in the envelope and with the origami shape I wasn't sure how to increase the waist. Now that I've sewn it, I know where to split and add however, I think a larger size would be preferable and prevent the slight pulling in the shoulder.
The pattern is well drafted. If you want experience sewing darts, it has twelve. The darts on the main garment and the front facings and the facing seams on the lining create and support the shape.
For a garment that used my least liked (of all my liked) fabrics for the main garment and the lining and my least favourite interfacing and my least favourite buttons, it turned out pretty good. More importantly, I enjoyed the process of sewing the pieces together, of focusing on doing my best job and on just having fun. It was good to let go of fitting worries. They've been consuming far too much of my time. I'm feeling re-energized and eager to sew other things. YEAH!
I could use more experience sewing on snaps... or perhaps some waxed thread. It always seems to be more of a tangle than it needs to be. I'm working on improving. I can't remember who I learned this chalk trick from but it's fabulous. After you've sewn all the male sides of the snaps to the garment, chalk the ends and then press them against the fabric on the opposite side. The chalk dots will show you where to sew the female side of the snaps.
Stick a pin down through the snap and the dot to hold it securely in place while stitching. You can use a pin to hold on the other side as well.
Yesterday was go, go, go from start to finish. I didn't finish sewing the jacket and take these pictures until after seven at night which explains - somewhat - the poor lighting and the lack of a head. Not styled at all. Hopefully, today is a little slower with more studio time. An idea for a cardigan started dancing in my head yesterday. I'd like to get started.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - feeling re-energized