Since leaving high school, I have owned four sewing machines - a Kenmore, a White, a Janome, and a Bernina. Each had its purpose. The Kenmore was a prize, awarded to the most promising sewing student when I graduated and although I no longer have it, I remain incredibly thankful for that machine. It kept me sewing. It was eventually replaced with a White Jean Machine which I thought would be the only sewing machine I ever needed but I outgrew its capabilities and bought a secondhand...
... Janome which I used for many years. Janome machines were - at that time - predominately for sewing fashions and Bernina machines were much coveted for free motion quilting so when I started quilting, I bought a second hand Bernina 1020 which is the machine I still sew on. I gave the Janome to my daughter and have - for years - told her that it's a fabulous machine. And it probably still is. But...
... my Bernina is better and it does "tricks" the Janome can't do. When my husband comes later this week, he's bringing the Bernina and I'll use it to finish up the bra tasks and then, when we go home, I'll take the Janome back and trade it in on a simpler, lighter, more efficient machine for my daughter. It's time for this one to move to a new home.
My daughter wears a difficult to find bra size and now that she's nursing and has increased cup size, she wears an even more difficult to find bra size. The plan was to adapt the regular bras that fit her well using the info I'd researched only a bra her size typically has a wide strap and one hook on a wide strap is more of a swivel than a support. It didn't work. Neither did plan B.
Monday night, while not sleeping, I mentally evaluated a series of ideas for what would work. When I got to two hooks, a button, snaps, my mind fast forwarded to why not use the same closing structure on the straps that's used at the back of a bra? Since it folds over the fabric you're stitching it to, that way I could finish the cut strap edges neatly with two or more hooks while maintaining the integrity and structure of the original bra... easily... and cheaply... because luckily the hook and eye tape is sold by the meter at Fabricland and is on sale 50% off. YEAH
Above is our prototype. That poor bra has been through the ringer with me trying this and that idea but this final option is going to work. I'll repeat the treatment on the other bras when my Bernina arrives and include the elastic ribbon that secures the upper strap to the bra band so that the straps don't fall off her shoulders. It'll be good - enough - perfect and just in case you ever need to convert a bra, above is how I adapted the info at the original link.
I've been to Fabricland twice, both times for bra supplies. This morning, I also had time to find two fabrics for myself. I couldn't get the true color of either in the same photo. The fabric on the left is a lightweight, lilac, denim chambray, slightly darker than shown, and the fabric on the right is a rayon polyester blend, slightly brighter than shown. It might look familiar. I sewed a blouse that didn't work with the same fabric and regretted using it because the fabric was so amazing. Now I have more. Bought in the bargain center. For cheap. YEAH.
On Sunday night, I had coffee with Terry, above, a blog reader, and on Monday night, I had coffee with Cindy, a sewist that I met at a workshop in Portland a few years ago. On Thursday, I'm meeting with Mary, another blog reader. What fun! I love how we can have so much in common with people we barely know or have never met before and can meet up, chat, share, have a great time, and learn from each other. That's another really good thing about sewing - fabric friends. YES YES
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - fabric friends