Last night, Howard and I put together a crib and bought a mattress, a mattress protector, and crib sheets. It's been twenty-seven years since the first time we did that. It brought back memories - good ones - even though we are thrilled to be the grandparents not the parents. We're both definitely past that stage. We bought the crib second hand and it's quite dusty and dirty. Today, I need to give it a good cleaning and get the guest room organized. My daughter, son-in-law, and grandson are coming on Friday.
I spent most of yesterday in the studio... instead of running those errands I told you about... because the coat was more fun - LOL. This is the way I like the collar with the top button positioned on the center front panel and...
... this is the way the pattern says to button it with the top button positioned on the collar - although there's a line drawing on the cover and it doesn't look like this either. It's more of a cross between the two. This version seems too buttoned up and the other one more approachable. What do you think?
In retrospect, I should have cut the center front panels of the lining from the fashion fabric. I didn't think the lining would show so it didn't seem necessary but it is - to stabilize and strengthen the front where the buttons will be placed. Because I'd serged the seams on the lining, I cut a slightly narrower front panel, interfaced it, and then zigzag stitched it in place over the lining and cut away the fuchsia fabric underneath. The edge...
... is not quite as wide as the seam. At the shoulder, I overlapped onto the back to maintain the strength of the shoulder seam. It would have been nicer tucked into the seam and it isn't. When you frankepattern, you're also fiddling and fixing on the fly. It's a great way to develop creating thinking and problem solving skills. It also teaches when it's better to leave things alone... like picking out serged seams... on fabric that frays easily... not a good idea... find a different way to do what you want to do.
The front binding is a narrow strip of the reverse side of the fashion fabric. First, it was interfaced for extra strength and the edges were serged to prevent fraying. Then, it was pressed in half wrong sides together, wrapped over the raw edge, and zigzag stitched in place BUT... before I could do that...
... the seam allowance was cut off. To measure, I stitched a line in white thread 5/8" from the edge around the complete opening so I could see it clearly and then I stitched another line in purple 1/4" away. When I cut on the white line to remove the seam allowance, the fashion fabric and lining fabrics remained stitched together. The purple stitching was later covered by the binding. I used purple just in case I needed to use the stitching as a guide or it needed to be removed. Purple is easier to see than black.
There is a HUGE pile of scraps left to be recycled into something including these four long lengths of the selvage. LOVE the fuchsia edging thread.
Hemming both layers took forever. It's very long. With the fashion fabric, I serged the edge and then pressed up 1 1/2". Because of the wool content, the wider edge could be eased and steamed neatly into the smaller circumference. It's stitched by machine. For the lining, I serged off 2" and then turned the serged stitching once toward the inside and held it in place with a row of top stitching on the visible side. It hangs about 3/4" shorter than the fashion fabric.
All that's left is to slip stitch the hem of the lining sleeve to the fashion fabric, sew on snaps and buttons at center front, steam the roll of the collar, and add shoulder pads. I didn't have the ones I wanted and didn't want to stop to go shopping yesterday so they'll be inside the lining instead of between the lining and the fashion fabric. Since I'm doing it that way, I'll cover them with fabric and use snaps to hold them in place. Then, if I ever want to, they're removable... or for laundering.
A friend is taking me out for breakfast this morning to celebrate my birthday. On the way home, I'll run those errands, then wash the crib, and then work on the coat and the design board assignment. Howard is out of town until late tonight but I'll try to get some finished coat pictures before the weekend. LOL - if I can find the right buttons. So far my stash isn't yielding the perfect ones.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - yesterday there was sunshine. YES. Finally ! ! ! Today, it is supposed to rain again but even one day of sunshine makes things a lot more cheerful.