All three of my children, both my brothers, and numerous friends called or emailed yesterday with happy wishes. Plus the comments. Thank you so much. It was a wonderful day. I sewed from morning to night and Howard made meals, ran errands, and cleaned up. He's a keeper.
Both the main layer of the coat and the lining are sewn together. They'll be attached at the collar, the front, and the sleeve hem and otherwise hang separate. The plan for today is to add the collar, hem the layers, finish the edges, and debate buttons.
The coat is heavier than I anticipated. When I sewed the black knit lining, I didn't like the weight or the way the knit stretched longer than top layer so I substituted the embossed fabric above. It's highly texturized, one of my favourite colors, light and smooth, and a fabric I couldn't figure out what to sew with. A lining seemed perfect.
Because the black/lime check is a wool blend, it could be eased and steamed to shape. The original lining was a knit which meant it could be stretched as needed. The fuchsia lining is a firm woven with no give. Up until I sewed it, I thought I'd done the perfect frankenpattern. Not so.
There was a problem with the width of the back shoulder and with the back armhole. Once I knew that, I just had to go back and fix the black and lime layer... because that's how I am... I can't help it... so I work with it. It took an hour to undo the side seams, remove the sleeves, separate the shoulder seams, fix the mistake, and re-stitch. And that's okay. The coat was turning out too wonderfully to leave the mistake especially as it was making the back too wide. It's all better now. Moving on.
The main fabric is a loose weave that ravels like crazy. Rather than snip the notches, they are marked with chalk and all the edges are serged as soon as the pattern pieces are removed. See how beautifully the seams press? I'm a sucker for fabric that presses like a dream.
The back bodice of Vogue 8714 had a shoulder dart that I turned into a princess seam to match with the skirt of Vogue 8346 only I completely forgot about matching the position of the shoulder point to the placement of the princess seam in the front. They are slightly off - about 1/4" - although you can't even tell because of how dark and speckled the fabric is. It's staying. I change what I can and leave the rest. Not much else you can do plus this is how we learn.
I'll sew this morning and then put together a list of errands and things to get to finish the rest of the Design Outside The Lines assignment. It's a design board to share with the class so I need some printed images, an appropriate surface to attach them to, and some other share pretty supplies which means a trip to the stationary store and I absolutely LOVE stationary stores. They're not quite but nearly as dangerous as a fabric store ! ! !
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - a happy birthday and a great day in the studio.