When I started this little jacket, I had some specific buttons in mind - the ones I'd used on the Marcy dress back in July - only they'd already been discontinued. The same shape was available in a different shade of pink but different wasn't even in the same range.
These are - IMHO - rather ugly glitzy from the front and a lovely, smooth, fuchsia on the back. I used them upside down and that ended up being a better choice than the original ones. They go fabulously with the stitching on the coat.
Like yesterday's coat, I serged the seams to the front and then zigzagged over them with decorative thread, this time fuchsia. There are a LOT more seams. Please... please... please... take a minute to appreciate the band in the picture above. I re-did it three times and I'm amazed that the front withstood that degree of stitching and unpicking since the printed knit was the least stable. It's all safe and secure now. And even.
When there were vertical seams between horizontal seams, I twisted the ends in opposite directions so the seam would stand out and be more visible.
The three rows of ruffles were made by serging each edge of a 1" wide strip and then zigzagging with fuchsia and then gathering down the middle and then stitching in place with a narrow zigzag over the gathering stitch. It took quite a bit of time and was - I think - totally worth the effort.
As I mentioned yesterday, I ended up replacing the original bodice. It was made of the plain black used in the skirt. There wasn't enough left for a second bodice so I used a ribbed knit and stabilized it by underlining with cotton scraps. To remove and replace the bodice, I cut it off at the seam and then serged it back on losing 1/4" in length. Oh well.
Because the design has a raglan sleeve, when I redid the bodice I also had to redo the top of the sleeve. I cut 1" above the seam into the black and then serged the new upper portion in place ending up with black against black - and that's okay - it worked fine.
The print is left over from a skirt and the black and the grey were left over from t-shirts. The piece is Kat Wise inspired. She does the most amazing coats used upcycled sweaters. This is a fun video showing her technique. If you watch it, you'll see that my piece is only inspired by and doesn't follow along identically especially...
... the collar - the part that got me in trouble. Originally, I wanted a little red riding hood kind of hood and tried to copy one from another pattern only it ended up more like a hoodie hood so I cut that off and tried another version and it didn't work either so I cut that off and tried a band with a collar and that really didn't work and by that time the neckline was quite low and very stretched out so I redid the bodice. This final collar is made from serged scraps of the scraps with a grey under-collar. I was down to little bits and have almost no fabric left at the end of this project which is perfect for zero waste sewing.
To start, I measured the original hemline of the pattern including the godets and then drafted wedges that merged from that width to the waist width and then decided how each section would be broken up. The skirt is VERY full as you can see...
... in this image. It's a really twirly - twirly skirt and - LOL - I'm sure you knew this would happen - I did fix the collar. I told myself that if I could find the first black stitch tucked into the black ribbing and remove it safely then I'd redo the collar and if I was shooting in the black and not sure if I was about to rip a stitch or the fabric, I'd leave it. I found the stitch. I fixed the collar. I feel much better about it. YEAH.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - inspiring artists - Thanks Kat ! ! !