There was just enough time last Saturday afternoon while I was in Calgary visiting my daughter and her family to make a quick trip to the closest Fabricland. It was busy. Partly because of costume making and partly because, once again, huge portions of the store were marked way down and the bargain center was 40% off the already low prices only...
... there was a large group of women shopping together in that area and spreading themselves and their fabric and their bags, buggies, and babies all over the area which made it really uncomfortable to shop because I had to keep moving in and out of their group and they weren't speaking English. Nothing like feeling like you don't belong which - LOL - was probably good for my pocketbook.
I purchased one and a half meters of a stretch denim, two meters of a turquoise knit, and two meters of a black knit mesh with white embroidery along each edge for less than $15.00. The yardage is washed and maturing in the stash.
Yesterday, I sewed a set of felted fingerless gloves based on the measuring system I've determine. I think they fit quite well so now I'm measuring every arm I can to make test gloves. I measured Howard and Kyle last night. Today, I'm having coffee with a friend and then tomorrow meeting with my creativity group. They don't know it yet but they're all being measured - VBG. Since I see them once a week, it'll be easy enough to stitch up the gloves and try them on quite soon.
In the comments, Carol asked would the machine felting process be durable enough to hold pieces of felted material together for quilt blocks? As I replied, she has way more experience than I do but I did make a sample to test the idea. Above, I cut two remnants of the felted fabric and then...
... overlapped the edges and used the felting machine to felt them together. The surface is smooth without a bump from the overlap. Next I...
... yanked on the fabric as hard as I could and it stretched out of shape but the joint held and didn't pull apart even a bit so it can be done. I'm not sure about in quilt size especially when you consider laundering and the weight, stretch, and pull of using it plus you'd need to overlap not just butt the edges. Hope that helps. Let us know what you decide Carol. I'm sure we'd all love to see a picture of the quilt if you go ahead with it.
I finished the purple scarf - except for blocking - and started on a black one. The ribbed pattern is knit 2, purl 2 on the right side and purl on the back for twenty rows. It makes a mock rib that is somewhat less stretchy than a traditional rib. The stitch pattern for the rest of the scarf is a wonderful basket-weave-ish pattern only knitting in black is not for me. It's way too hard on the eyes.
I had two balls of sock yarn and after knitting two thirds of the way through the first one had a scarf twelve inches long which meant that even if I persevered by knitting only during daylight hours, I'd end up with a scarf three feet long and that's about half the length I wanted so I abandoned that idea. And that's okay. I think learning when to listen to our intuition and push ahead and when to listen to our intuition and quit while we're ahead are equally important. I'll morph that yarn into something else at some point in the future.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - for the person who invented prescription glasses so I can see