Yesterday, I finished adding the French knots and played with ideas for the button placket while avoiding any permanent cutting because I had a headache all day and wasn't thinking completely straight but straight enough to know that a headache plus cutting equals potential disaster.
LOVED this b--b on the wall. What fun that we can take a flat, two dimensional piece of fabric and manipulate it to fit smoothly over a three dimensional form. YES YES.
Above and below, the side seams are sewn and pressed, the shoulder seams are pinned, and the sleeves are tacked in place to get an idea of how the fabrics work together and the overall look of the skinny green lines. I was auditioning the polka dot for the waist band and deciding what more to do with the lines because they...
... appear darker here than in person which is why I decided to add more points of interest with buttons and beads. I started by laying out the buttons in pleasing and balanced proportions and then...
... placed bugle beads where I wanted them and marked the position with pins and then stitched the beads in place. They add an extra energy to the piece - I think - LOL.
With the layout, I kept in mind - especially on the front - where the embellishment would lie on the body to hopefully avoid an oops.
The beads and buttons weren't enough so I sampled small and medium seed beads and didn't like the way they stuck out from the fabric so I scattered French knots to further balance the layout and create more points of interest. Above is the back and below ...
... is the front. I kept folding the fabric back to center front to make sure the embellishments didn't stray into areas that would be cut off. Today, I'll work on the center front button placket. I'm pretty sure I know what I want having thought about it for most of yesterday and hopefully it turns out the way I'm anticipating. It's meant to both blend and stand out which can be kind of tricky. We'll see how it goes.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - the cautionary benefits of pain