If you're going to do it, do it right sounds like something a mother would say in the middle of one of those you need to do better lectures... and it is... and it's also a great approach to creativity especially when you're working in a step-by-step process like I was with this coat. This first choice is not always the best choice.
The black waistband was 2" wide. My math must have been off - plus my eyesight - the day I sewed that on because my intention was for it to be about an inch wide. I vaguely recollect intending to trim it down later only I'd already sewn the skirt on before I remembered. Adding a strip of the paisley softened the chunky look of the thick black and blended the upper and lower sections of the coat.
My goal all along was for a soft, cardigan-ish like sweater-coat. When I added the stretch woven lining, it completely changed the feel of the garment to one I didn't like so I replaced that lining with one sewn from the polka dot knit and used the selvage to finish the bottom hem. It has a soft, flannel-like finish.
The original button band was too wavy. I wanted it to lay flatter and felt it needed more definition between the green squares and the paisley fabric. It was faster to make a new band than to pick the original one apart. You can see the start of the new one underneath. With interfacing, it lay much nicer. I used 1/8" strips of silk dupioni with zigzag stitching on top to separate the green and paisley and bias strips to wrap the edge. You can see that further down.
Originally, I wanted lime button holes with black buttons. There wasn't a thread in my extensive stash that worked well and in the end I used black thread only...
... black over lime is not usually dense enough to cover the way I'd like it to. I colored in the spaces with black felt pen.
There were no new frontiers conquered with the collar. It's a plain collar, the same fabric as the skirt with serging and lime-green zigzag around the edges which brings the skirt theme upward and helps to blend the elements. The under collar is the polka dot knit and the collar band is the black and grey check. I attached the collar the wrong way around the first time. It would have folded to the inside. BUT...
... in the end, it was done and I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. THANK YOU so much for the comments. I wore the coat out yesterday and was stopped several times so it definitely attracts attention which was fun and a nice reward for all the work.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - sew slowing, fun projects