Yesterday morning, I went to Fabricland to pick out buttons for the cape because - even though I already have a million of them - of course I didn't have any in stash that were just perfect. It was a good thing that I went in the morning instead of putting it off until later because my friend Rosemarie came for four hours in the afternoon and my friend Wendy came for two hours in the evening. It was a solid studio day. Lots of fun. And in the end, the houndstooth cape was finished. Wendy called it that. She said this is houndstooth isn't it? So pretty. I usually hate houndstooth so it must be the colors.
I sewed the collar on with my usual method of stitching it from the inside, wrapping it around, and slip stitching it in place on the right side. I love how with this method the collar covers the hand stitching and if the front lays open at all, it's neat and clean. A fabulous trick and I have no idea where I picked it up.
The cape sits asymmetrical on the body and there's no way to really know where center back is so I marked it with a finished piece of the fabric. I'm not sure it's strong enough to be a hanging loop but it could be if necessary.
Here you can see how the collar sits slightly away from the shoulder. It's less obvious because of the pattern. If I made this pattern again, I'd dart that shoulder as I said yesterday. I doubt I'd make it again for me but it could be a gift idea for friends because everyone who has seen it has loved it. Apparently, it's like my new hair do - perky and fun. LOVED the compliments. Thanks so much.
I tried several different ways to bind the edge and in the end took a strip of the fabric, zigzagged each long edge, pressed it so one side was wider than the other and folded it over the edge with the wider side underneath and then zigzag stitched it in place around the inside and outside edge. It worked quite well.
Because the button I picked was larger than my capacity for making buttonholes, I sewed them on with black pearl cotton and then sewed snaps on underneath. There's no way to wear this cape unsnapped without it falling off your shoulders and if you only use one snap, the pattern will be skewed so in all likely-hood it will be worn done up.
The pattern is even and straight. YEAH - that took a lot of work. You can see how the binding wraps around to the inside and the blue lining. Black might have been better. I had blue. It's good and enough.
And here's the front. Done. As one of my friends pointed out, I tend to wear patterned garments on the bottom and plain garments on the top so I'll have to be careful what I wear it with but it'll be a fun change now and then. It's great to experiment with new shapes that you're not sure about if you can just enjoy the journey and realize that in the end you may or may not like it and it may or may not fit you. That's what I was teaching Rosemarie yesterday as we started working on her refashioning project. A few steps in, she got it. It was so fun to see the clicks happening and watch her enthusiasm. Such a compliment to be asked to help.
I think of teaching my friends as friendship but it's also a form of mentoring and I really believe in mentoring and in ways to support and encourage one another. Rosemarie asked me if writing the blog was giving away my secrets which made me laugh. Of course, you have to be careful what you say on-line and of course, our on-line conversations are only one part of the total picture but I'm so grateful for the blog and the opportunity to share what I love to do with so many. It's another gift in my life. And I do so love to talk about sewing ! ! ! ! !
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - the blog