Down the stairs and around the corner is where we took the wall out and put in a railing. LOVE it. It opens up the space significantly and it no longer feels like we're going down into the dungeon. I put a coat of primer on yesterday - seven spindles and an end post - and tried not to think about how I need to prime and paint the much Much MUCH longer railing upstairs. The previous owner mixed up paint types and the white upper coat is peeling off the lower beige coat. Annoying but... I'll finish this section first. Today, a first coat of the gloss paint.
I - finally - took a picture of Myrna Green that actually looks like it. The color above is exactly the color below. They were painted from the same can. Isn't it amazing what light does? This color is slowly making its way throughout our home. Right now, it's in the studio, the downstairs hall, the laundry, the downstairs bath, the entryway, the upstairs hallway, and on the feature wall in the living room. When Howard goes to Guatemala in April, it'll replace the darker green in the living room as well. This creates better flow and continuity.
Yesterday, I shopped for a towel bar for the "new" bathroom. At one store, I admired a wire rack and then realized I already had something very similar at home. Ta da - a free towel rack. Because we changed the access to the bathroom, the flooring is broken up and has to be replaced. The new one will be put down on Tuesday. It's a rust-ish color, faux tile that is in the other two bathrooms - more continuity. After that, the vanity will be installed and the bits and pieces can come together. First everything works and then it's a mess and then slowly it all comes back together again. The cycle of redecorating.
For many years, I worked in construction either building and flipping houses or renovating and flipping houses. That means you're basically building spec which in turn means settling for the best of the cheapest choices because you'll be leaving the fixtures behind. This time, I'm determined not to settle. We have no plans to move again and I want what I want.
Yesterday, I went to four different lighting stores and ended up buying the Archie P2992-81 fixture from Home Depot. Both of us liked it and, surprisingly, it was one sixth of the price of our second choice. YES YES! ! ! Love when that happens. LOVE also when you can find the same thing at a less expensive price. Amazon lists this fixture at $170.00 and Home Depot lists it at $104.00 on their websites. We bought it in-store for $89.00.
... the new owners of one of our previous homes are friends of some friends - now that's a convoluted sentence but it just means they know who we are - and when they replaced the counter-tops, they found my name written on the bottom of the old ones and decided I should have them back so I have a kitchen worth of blue counter-tops stored in the garage which will be perfect for this bathroom and the other two. Slowly, the brown is disappearing. Free - sort of - counter-tops. YES YES - I love that too.
And.. best of all... I sewed for the first time since mid January. It was bliss even if it was sheets. Crib mattresses are deeper now than they used to be and 45" fabric is actually less than forty-five inches rather than slightly more than forty-five inches like it used to be which meant the fabric wasn't wide enough for the mattress. I had just enough yardage to cut the three lengths and then pieced together the remaining section matching the stripes to make another piece long enough and then I cut three strips, sewed them together between the stripes, and then...
... top stitched the seams for security. Today, I'll cut do the corners and hem and add the elastic. The sheet I have here has elastic all the way around but the ones I made when my children were small only had elastic in the corners. I called my daughter last night to see how her's were made only my grandson was asleep so she's checking this morning. I hope to get them done and in the mail by Friday.
When Patti was over for our creativity get together yesterday, we talked about rusting fabric. She's worked with this technique extensively; I've never tried it but I'm planning to try it soon. It sounds easy. Basically, you use a combination of salt, water, vinegar, and objects that rust and package it all up and let oxidation do its thing. I'm hoping to rust some denim for a version of Marcy's Vogue 8934. When I do, I'll take detailed, how-to pictures. For now, I've asked Howard to bring rustable objects home from work. He did give me a funny look.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - that the lights I wanted were also the least expensive and a "free" towel rack and a "free" counter-top all very consistent with - VBG - using what I have