This weekend, I finished the two fronts and the back of the coat, joined the shoulder and side seams, sewed in the sleeves, and sewed on the buttons.
I chose simple turquoise colored buttons to stand out from the purple plaid and to go with the top stitching thread. On my last project - the skirt - I chose shiny turquoise thread to give the buttons sparkle. This time, I used black thread to tone them down.
This is the front on the design wall with the sleeves pinned in position. It looks rather boring which is why I added the turquoise buttons but in reality, it's not boring at all. I've come to accept that my preference is firmly in the medium to dark value range with subtle details. Try as I might, I'm not high contrast. Not much about my pieces jumps, dances, and demands to be seen. They invite. To truly appreciate them, the viewing range has to be close.
For the sleeves, I created a large tuck at the sleeve cap to take in the excess. On the back...
... is the placket and buttons from the original men's shirt. I haven't decided if the sleeves are amazing or not yet but they do work and are fun. Howard said they look too short - like the bottom of a man's shirt. Yes.
On the inside, the side seams have a herringbone effect that I really like. For some reason, I decided to hand tack them to the garment so they'd remain flat and even. I think it's a way of savoring the satisfaction of a seam well sewn... or maybe it's procrastination... because I have to figure out the hem and the neckline next and I don't think the men's collar is the answer anymore or at least not in its original form. I'm debating. I'll start with the hem.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - a friend fell and broke her arm this weekend. It reminded me to be thankful for immediate health care - for ambulances and hospitals - for pharmacies, drugs, and drug plans - and for care-givers.