Because it's not the fabric, it's the new territory, the expectations, the pressure and the adventure of going where we've never gone before only when we finally do get there, it's not so scary and not so unfamiliar. We have seen those elements before.
I narrowed the possibilities by deciding to make the collar from a bias cut scrap left from hemming the coat. As you can see in the first image, the bias edge is longer than the neck edge and the turn of the collar is sufficient. By setting this limitation, I avoided a whole lot of over-thinking and even so, it took four different tries to attach it to the coat in a way that I liked. There's a bit of paint and a line of stitching left to do this morning.
A 20" zipper was too long and an 18" one was too short so I altered the neckline using a French curve making sure that I had the distance of the seam allowance above the zipper stop and merging into the original neckline.
I wanted the collar to stand up and away from the neckline so I used pleats to create a stand of sorts. They are almost 1" long to include the 3/8" seam allowance and a 5/8" stand while shortening the bias edge to the length of the neckline.
And then I added random tucks to give texture to the surface. Initially, I used beige thread but later went over the seams with turquoise thread to match the lower front and back of the coat. I'm really pleased with how the collar has turned out and now... after procrastinating... I'm eager to get on to the next project. I have some ideas for adding stenciling and piping to a skirt pattern but first - tomorrow, the finished coat.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - an end to procrastination
Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
- Maya Angelou