Eight years ago, a friend came for the weekend and we spent three days dyeing fabrics following specific formulas to complete the assignment for a workshop we were taking.... which I didn't really enjoy... the formulas... not the friend. And then, a few years after that, I began dyeing pieces intuitively using the color knowledge I've gained over the years. That was WAY more fun. I used the resulting fabric in my textile art work. The pieces were meant to be cut up and worked into a design. Now, I want to make the switch to creating fabrics for fashion and to making more purposeful marks. HOWEVER...
... first I decided I needed to play. On Saturday night, I already had my pajamas on and was curled up on the couch when I got the urge to paint. Painting in my pajamas? Sure, why not? I decided that since the Setacolors needed to be watered down so much, I would use them to create backgrounds and in the process use them up and then, when they're dry, figure out how to take the backgrounds forward.
In the end, I emptied out ALL of the paint pots. There are no more Setacolor paints in my studio. For some of the semi-dried up ones, I added water to the jar and let it sit overnight and that helped to loosen some of the paint. Others were already too plastic-lumpish that they weren't breaking down much even with the water so I smeared them on the surface anyway and used...
... what is fast becoming my favourite tool - a pot scrubber with a handle from the dollar store - to spread the lumps around.
I started by laying the fabric on the painting surface and adding the first color. My lines were mostly horizontal at the beginning and then later on, when I realized I was only going in one direction, I started making them vertical, diagonal, and wavy. From piece to piece, I could feel myself loosening up.
Then I added a second color by splotching it down next to the first one and letting them bleed together. I mostly used a wide soft brush to apply the paint.
Each piece contains three colors, one of which was used up entirely on that piece and one or two of which moved to the next piece.
I kept using what I had and adding new colors to the pieces one-by-one until all the paints were gone. The pieces were painted from back to front in the image above plus the one below on Saturday night.
This one was quite wet and the paint was going through to the felt below and coming up in the next pieces so I let everything dry overnight and then painted with the neutral colors on Sunday.
These pieces were painted front, back, and then middle using white, metallic grey, copper, black, and pearlescent. One of the frustrating factors with Setacolors is that they dry much lighter than they look wet. I'll show you all the dried pieces in tomorrow's post before I start playing with stamps and stencils.
If you're getting tired of painting posts, this week will be all painting and knitting and next week will be either knitting or nothing since on Friday, I'm heading to Calgary to look after my adorable grandson for a week while his parents are on vacation. What happens on the blog depends on how exhausted I am after spending the day with an eighteen month old and on how much knitting actually happens. I may be a lump on the couch unable to even move my arms. I have no idea. It's been a LONG time since I looked after a toddler. Right now, I'm knitting samples for a scarf pattern that I want to make in a variety of yarn weights to achieve different looks. I figure if I keep it simple - same pattern, different yarn, different needles - this might work while grandparenting full time.
Grateful - loosening up, some pretty painted pieces
She was unstoppable, not because she did not have failures or doubts, but because she continued on despite them.
- Beau Taplin