I want the piece to grow organically, step-by-step so I am only making one decision at a time. The first was to stitch a section of tucks that would radiate out from the side seam in both the back and the front of...
... the dress. I'm using Vogue 1408 as the base. The curved lines are feminine and flattering and the multiple pieces provide plenty of play room. You can just make out in the picture above a brownish section that curves out from the underarm and around to the hip. If you click through to the Vogue website, the technical drawing will provide a better picture. It's the piece with the 2 on it.
I started by cutting a piece of fabric longer and wider than the pattern piece keeping in mind that the tucks would not only shrink the vertical length of the fabric BUT... because I wanted them to radiate... they would create a curve fabric meaning I'd need a bigger piece than I thought to cut out the piece. I started with a horizontal line and then drew lines on either side that angled from 1" apart at the inside to 3/4" apart at the waist side. This was so subtle as to...
... invisible in the resulting piece. Next time, I'd make the variance a LOT more and possible even free form the tucks. I created four triangular sections like the one above - two for the front and two for the back.
When I was sampling how to stitch the tucked piece to the one next to it, I briefly sampled serging over the seams instead of the zigzag stitching I'd used. It may have worked back when I'd initially stitched the tucks, especially if I trimmed fabric while stitching but after the fact, the strip wouldn't travel cleanly through the serger and created bulky looking edges.
When I stitched the tucks, I folded on the chalk line and zigzagged over the fold. The needle skipped in numerous places. I tried a variety of ways to prevent that and none worked and so - oh well - intentional skips. Someone is bound to ask me how I did that - LOL
Sewing the tucked section cleanly to section next to it, required stretching the tucks out which distorted the edge considerably. It's NOT A PROBLEM. I put that in capitals because at one time I would have stressed out over this thinking I'd made a terrible mistake and how would I fix that when it doesn't need to be fixed. It's a factor of this type of tuck and simply needs to be...
... trued back into the seam curve. When I think of how many projects I threw out in frustration because they were less than perfect or not perfect-able, it could make me cry if I didn't realize that it was all part of the process. There are fatal mistakes but not too many any more. I've learned that there's a way to fix "it" - whatever it may be - if you're willing to think it through.
It took Thursday and Friday last week to stitch the tucks and put together the right and left front and right and left back sections - part one of the challenge project. On Saturday, I spent the entire day piecing center back. More on that later.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - embracing imperfection
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
- Marilyn Monroe