Probably the most important two were not to sew in a colour I don't like and not to sew in a size I'm not. When I realized attempting to lose weight was one stress more than I needed right now, I also realized that I was never going to fit into this dress even if I managed to make brown doable. That definitely deflated my energy. I've resolved that the next challenge will be Myrna sized and Myrna coloured.
The tucks along the side were really fun to create and quite stretchy which distorted the seams joining the tucked sections to the back and front and to each other. Across the side, they are not as well matched as I would have liked. I'll use this technique again in a more solitary environment were it will have less negative impact. I talked about making these tucks in Part One Of The Challenge Project.
For the center back section, I used a piecing technique of layering scraps and sectioned and added more flare to the bottom of the skirt. I thought I'd blogged about this previously but can't find the posting or the pictures in my files. It was either a figment of my imagination or they've been lost... however... you can see the added flare. It's fun and flirty.
On Saturday, I realized that how to finish the front was holding me back. I had intended to use either an exposed zipper or buttons only done had become significantly more important than either of those so I opted for texture along center front by appliqueing 1 1/2" squares spaced 3/4" apart. The top square folds over center front to hide...
... the fact that I joined the seam after the neck band had been added the same as the underarm seam shown above. This method allows me to use the serger to stitch the band in place and provides a firm edge to turn the band over and stitch against. I like the way it finishes the edges.
Because there was already so much stitching visible on the dress and because I like the additional texture that thread adds, I used a zigzag stitch to hold the neck and arm bands in place and then trimmed away the excess fabric on the wrong side.
Typically when I make a mistake that is fixable, I fix it. With this garment, I opted to let it go because - as I said earlier - it was becoming far more important to finish than to do a "perfect" job. Above, I like the way the seam blends through and below...
... it's not so great. Those stretchy tucked sections created a lot of issues that I decided to simply overlook because I'm pretty sure this dress is going nowhere - definitely not on my body - especially as it's even too tight for Millicent.
I love the above image - the way the pieced sections all meld together and create flow through the back. It's one of my favourite parts. The pattern is...
... Lynn Mizono's Vogue 1408... and it's really short... more tunic with tights length. Not exactly what I'd call a dress. I'd like to sew it again. When I do, I'll significantly lengthen the sections but for now... I AM DONE ! ! !
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - done
It's all about the process. Make your faith journey about the hard work and the faith it takes just to try. Let your story be the journey no matter how it turns out. You giving your best will honor God.
- Erwin Raphael McManus