One concern starting the project was how to finish the neck and armhole edges. I avoid facings when possible and knew there wouldn't be enough fabric for bias strips plus - even if there had been - it's a heavy linen and the binding would have been too bulky for the look I wanted to create. Luckily, I had a much lighter, almost see-thru, white linen in stash and although the yardage didn't look like the same shade of white, narrow strips wrapped around the edge worked just fine and pressed crisp and neat.
I used the same method to apply the binding as I did with the black and white top earlier this month. In the comments, Alison had thanked me for the binding method and I'd replied that it was my first time trying it and we'd see how it held up in the wash. I haven't worn the black and white top but this one ended up with a mark on it and so has already been washed in the machine. The binding came through just fine. No fraying. No pulling out. All good.
Both the front and the back yoke were necessary because of the narrow - 22" - width of the remnant. I cut the lower front on fold and could have cut lower back that way too but I opted for a button closure to add interest. The buttonholes aren't cut. I stitched them and then overlapped the two sides and sewed the buttons through all the layers. I don't need the buttons to open to get in and out so a faux opening is just fine.
In yesterday's posting, I talked about planning my cutting path to maintain as large of scraps as possible. The section above was the narrow strip below the lower back piece from when I folded the fabric up right sides together. Opened and folded in the opposite direction, it was the only scrap big enough.
I completely finished piecing the back of the top before starting on the front so I'd know what scraps were available. The lower front was cut from the shape I showed in yesterday's posting and I drafted a yoke for the upper front and moved the dart into the seam line. I'll talk about how in another posting. The pile of scraps is all the fabric that was left. I used it to...
... stitch strips together for a piece wide enough for the front yoke. I started by cutting a 3" strip for the center and then mirrored the process of adding strips. Each strip was serged, pressed, and top stitched and whatever happened to the right side, happened to the left side. I cut out the yoke by centering the fold of the pattern piece with the middle of the center strip. You can see where the fold was pressed in.
Above is a detail picture of the front yoke after washing and hang drying the top. The linen is quite stiff but I know it's going to soften with age. This piece has the potential to become one of those favourite, worn to threads, kind of tops and one of the things I absolutely love about it is that it's made from "garbage" - fabric that wasn't big enough for something else and would have been thrown out. I'm so glad it was gifted to me instead.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - sewing progress
Going to the junkyard is a sobering experience. There you see the ultimate destination of almost everything we desire.