This is the third time I've sewn Katherine Tilton's Butterick 5891 and this time I - finally - figured out the correct order for the neatest workmanship. I need to write some notes for next time.
While I enjoy doing good technical work, I'm not interested in a paint-by-number experience and want to add a little something unique or different or stretching in some way, some step toward being myself creatively. With this version, I did all the top stitching by hand using a running stitch in pearl cotton.
The buttons echo that idea with a mix of textures and faux stitches. I still need to wash the top to remove all the chalk lines. I use chalk to mark the wrong side of the fabric and any guidelines I need such as the ones for the button holes.
Here's another way to bind the armhole edges. I cut a strip of bias fabric and serged one long edge. After stitching the opposite edge to the armhole, I turned the strip over and to the back and then stitched in the ditch to hold it in place. It's neat, won't fray, doesn't have to be slip stitched by hand, and looks great.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - having a serger
Make the workmanship surpass the materials.