Contrary to my expectations, I didn't get a lot of sewing done this weekend. Howard had a three day weekend and after being apart for almost a month, we spent quite a bit of time together. We bought a new car but had to wait until yesterday to pick it up and we took a day trip to Salmon Arm on Saturday to see which parts of the community we both preferred. I'm grateful that he's supportive of my dream and willing to make it work. That means a lot to me especially because this feels like one of those things I would regret if I didn't try it. It's a risk I need to take.
Michelle Jadaa wrote: When I started following you you were before your crossroads, searching to fill an emptiness, to gain confidence. Now I'm always inspired to see your journey, your creativity, your happiness. Thank you for sharing this on your blog.
I really appreciate everyone who is on this journey with me. In the last half dozen years, life has taken numerous sudden and not so fun shifts. It has often felt like I was falling apart in public which is definitely NOT a good feeling. A few months ago, it began to feel as if all the wondering and wandering was coming to an end. Right now, I have this happy bubble inside. It's all wiggly wonderful and I'm so excited about the changes that are coming up even though I don't know exactly what they will look like. I feel for a fact that this move is going to be an incredibly positive shift for Howard and I and that we simply need to wait, watch, and listen while God unfolds the path before us. YES YES ! ! !
In-between cars and communities I did do a bit of work on what I'm referring to as The Diane Impulse. I stitched the tucks to the outside and then folded them toward the side seams and top-stitched them in place. Because of the fullness of the bust, the front tuck tapers from the shoulder to the bust point and then remains a consistent width to the waist. The back tuck is the same width from shoulder to waist.
Taking in the tuck corrected the position of the sleeve cap but left a big sleeve especially through the underarm. I tried to be okay with that but I knew it was going to bug me so in the end I opened the underarm seam and removed the sleeves and then cut them to a smaller shape with a higher sleeve cap. Next, I'll resew the side seam and then fill in the missing portion under the arm much like I did with my Vogue 9089 blouse back in May.
This is my new to me car. It's a 2003, all wheel drive, A6, Audi which makes Howard, and his friends and co-workers ooh and aah and means absolutely nothing to me. I know it's a European car and that it was quite pricey brand new but I'm not a name dropper and I'm not into prestigious status symbols. I see a car as a tool and like any tool, I want a quality one that will get me from A to B and especially from studio to fabric store to workshop. This one will do the trick even if it is far too beige on the inside. I'm looking at ways to "redecorate". What really worked for me - and was an incredible answer to prayer - is that the cost of the car, the taxes, and the insurance deductible for the accident came to $350 LESS than the settlement for my other car which means we didn't fall behind financially because of the accident. That's fabulous.
This year has been busier than usual and it's busy right up until October. I've felt like I'm not getting enough time to celebrate our new grandbaby due at the beginning of September so on Sunday I spent the day knitting and finished the large - 40 x 60" - baby blanket that baby can "grow into" as requested. Most knitting instructions say to cast off loosely. I find that it's a lot easier to cast of loose if I use a cast off needle that's several sizes larger than the needle I was knitting with.
Once I'd cast off, I kept the ball of yarn attached and then used a crochet hook to add a row of single crochet all around the blanket to give it a nice finished edge on all four sides.
I plan to measure it and write down how many skeins of yarn it took just in case my grandson wants one too and/or for future babies and then...
... I'll sew a bunting bag to go with and mail the afghan and the bag to my daughter along with two knit, navy, crib sheets that I bought in Oregon. They were less expensive than buying fabric so if she likes them perfect and if not, I can sew some... after our cruise.
I'm starting to pack. Since I'll be wearing these clothes for almost three weeks, I don't plan to wear them again before we leave. Yesterday, I found a t-shirt and a cardigan to replace the ones I'd eliminated and some light-weight necklaces that were were buy two, get one free. LOVE that. This one was...
... my favourite of the three. It's three dimensional and made from wrapped wire around a central bead. I can see an interesting adaptation using fabric and wire or wrapped cords.
This morning I have a coaching session with Diane to talk about what I learned in Ashland, about going forward with my creative intentions, and about advice for setting up a public studio and in the afternoon my friend Rosemarie is coming to knit. In-between, I'll work on either the bunting bag or the raincoat. Both need to be finished before we leave on the 28th.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - a safe all wheel drive car and positive "accident" finances