I did make an eighth - and final - video. I'd love some more feedback on the videos if anyone has anything additional to offer. I think they got a bit redundant with pants in eight parts and I also think it was a great beginning to adding more videos to the blog. If you have any tips to offer or suggestions for topics, I'd love to hear them along with any other tips for the blog. I think it's time for a make-over and freshening up.
In the first video, I mentioned that I hadn't decided on the shape of the pockets yet. The pattern I used has angled pockets like view C above. I decided to make curved pockets like view B. The only difference is the shape of the opening. And the fit. The curve of B sits better over my hips than the angle of C. I'm too curvy for that line and the fabric ends up pushing out and trying to form a dart over my hip bone.
The tissue paper is the curved pocket pattern and the white tracing paper is the pocket lining of the angled pocket. At right, I've created a shape that blends the two.
I don't actually cut the front of the pants until I'm ready to attach the pocket. Above, I've pinned the pocket lining in place and below, I've cut away the unnecessary part. By using this method...
... I don't need a separate front piece for each pocket option. I can simply alter for the shape of my choice. I personally think it's really good to learn how to do these minor changes since it allows you to maximize the potential of a single pattern. I have seen people like many things about a pattern and then not buy it because of the shape of something as simple as the neckline when the shape could have been easily changed and the rest of the details maintained.
To fix the blotch, I placed a piece of tracing paper underneath and then used pins to prick the paper. When I held it up to the light, I could connect the pin pricks and draw the shape of the patch. Before adding the surface design that's shown in the video, I made sure I liked how the patch sat on top of the blotch and trimmed it where necessary.
In the video, I talk about possibly adding more paint underneath the patches to mimic the spread of the blotch. That ended up being the right answer. At left, the side seams are not sewn yet and at right, the pants are finished. I will get a picture of me wearing them but if today's post was actually going to get posted, this was as good as it was going to get.
The patch on the left hip isn't as visible from the front when I'm wearing the jeans as I wanted it to be and is very visible from the side. I may add a bit more paint to it down the line but for now, I'll wear them as is. I think the three patches all together create the balance I wanted.
In 2012, when I went to my first Design Outside the Lines retreat with Diane Ericson and Marcy Tilton, surface design was on the list of things I wanted to learn .. and again in 2013... and in 2014... and in 2015... and now... YES YES... progress. This is good. I'm looking forward to trying another piece right after I try a pair of pants with added architectural details.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - surface designed jeans