I'm sorry to report that the work island is not finished yet. Sorry because that means I have no sewing to show although I'm not completely empty handed.
Yesterday, I walked down to my son's house and asked him to drive me back up the hill. I wanted to see how long it would take because I thought I might walk to knitting today for my daily quotient of exercise only then I wouldn't be able to wear my painted shoes and I definitely want to do that so... no... not today... but it was pretty walk yesterday.
As mentioned in the previous post, on Wednesday I went to my friend's painting studio to paint shoes. When we do something sewing together, we work in my studio and when we do something painting together, we work in hers. It makes sense from a stash point of view. It was a wonderful pay day with the happy bonus of something fun for my feet.
The brown shoes didn't work for my wardrobe so they were the perfect ones to start with. We first painted a base of GAC200 from Golden to allow for adherence and hardening. We also mixed a couple drops of it in with each paint colour. Francine thought a base colour would be a good idea... so I painted mine black... and it was good... however... now that I have a wee, tiny bit more experience I think a better base colour to start with would be a medium tone like lilac or grey or a light tone like white. Trying to lighten a dark colour is a lot of work.
The shoes had some interesting details and seaming that were hard to see in the brown shade. I painted a wiggly, wobbly white line between the stitching that Francine helped me clean up while teaching me how to manage a small brush. And then I painted some dots with a stylus. I do appear to be in a dot stage. I do want my own stylus.
This colour looks more purple on my screen that it is in person. Think fuchsia. It's on the tips and around the side but not all the way back to the heel. Back there...
... I painted black dots one one side and swirls on the other (which I realize I don't have a good picture of) plus a dotted "stitching" line along the join. The saw tooth edge above the white line was painted green and the final step was to sponge the toes for a bit more detail without going too cutsy. TOO FUN for $1.25.
Francine painted a pair of shoes that she loved the shape and feel of but not the colour. She said she wanted red shoes and used this fuchsia colour as a base to build up from. That was interesting especially...
... when it was the copper-ish colour she put over top that turned them red on the toes. The top edge and the strap are still fuchsia and the inside is turquoise. We both painted the inside of the heels to make sure that the original colours didn't show at the bottom when we crossed our legs.
I've started on my second pair but they're not done yet. I used left-over turquoise to paint the toes and then blended some "scrap" paint to get a-never-to-be-reproduced grey for the strap. The blue on the toes is not as denim as I wanted nor is the green at the back as lime as I wanted so they may change. I'll see. I definitely want to add some hot-pink detailing. Luckily, I can use the fabric paints that I have in the studio to finish up. A book I bought several years ago when I first started exploring painting on leather said to finish the shoes (or bag) with Future floor polish.
Painting shoes was a lot of fun. It's a great way to play with paint and surface design without a huge investment. I have several pairs of shoes that aren't getting worn for one reason or another. As long as they are comfortable, painting them could make them more wearable.
LOL - I now have visions of painting shoes to go with the parts & starts of the outfits I'll finish when I lose the weight or go on my next trip. Whichever comes first. Although my feet might shrink. I should probably wait a while but I could paint a bag or necklace. Hmm....
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - a fun day with a friend