One garment was to have a dark background and one was to have a light background. To start, I chose Marcy's Vogue 9190 cardigan. My version is a hybrid with the back from views C and D and the front from views A and B. The fabric is a very stable knit in a soft grey.
A pastry blender gave me the random striped look that I wanted for the cuffs. Even though I taped off, I rotated too far back a few times and ended up with some extra dots. Oh well!
Once the cuffs were in place, I thought the lines were too dark and added white on top. When I found myself tempted to eliminate the slit in the cuff, "we" had a chat because these are exactly the kinds of details I want to add to my clothing and it only took a bit more time.
I am amazingly good at absolutely even repetition and it takes a lot of work for me to be random. While stenciling the collar, I tried to work fast and not overthink and the placement did end up more scattered than in rows. YES YES!
OH... and I eliminated the gathers in the back yoke. The difference in length between the yoke and the lower back was 1 1/2" which IMHO is not enough for nice gathers so I decided to create a series of tucks and while they looked good in my sample, they looked horrible on the real thing so I re-cut the lower back sections and created a box pleat at the center. I like how this looks.
I've been sewing for a really long time and at this point, it is rare for me to read the instructions but I had no idea how to get the drawstring to extend past the collar seam. I had to read them to figure it out. That was fun, learning something new.
Let me tell you - as the voice of experience - that it is not a good idea to attempt to flatten your plastic stencil by ironing it no matter how many layers of press cloths you've put over top. When I get a new one, I'll extend the black floral stencil to the upper collar. I waited until the cardigan was finished for this decision because I wasn't sure if the collar could be worn up or down. If up, I may have stenciled the under-collar but it looks best down so I'll add to the upper collar.
When I added the black paint, it was TERRIFYING but I got over the fear quickly and continued on. And it was fun. And I felt like I'd made progress. And now, I've started on my second garment with the dark background and I've done a really good job of creating a hot mess. I thought a darker surface would be easier to work on. It's not. I'm persevering. I'll let you know how it's going on Friday.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - a total of 9 1/2" lost to date