It's been a long time since I've sewn with any kind of production style but that's what fourteen pouches call for. There is a wonderful sense of accomplishment working through the pile cutting, seam finishing, pressing under, and adding a zipper to each. And so on. Unfortunately...
... when I attempted to sew the sides and bottom together, there was absolutely no way to turn them right side out which explains with Alisa Burke's bags - above - why she adds the black tabs at each end and why a sewn side piece may have been a better choice. Hmm... live and learn.
I thought washing the canvasses might soften them. It did. It also faded the colours even though they'd been heat set them several times. That was somewhat discouraging and made me wonder about stenciling on garments that would be laundered frequently. The end result is still lovely but not as vibrant and the pouches are still too stiff to turn so - for now - while I come up with plan B - I've put them aside and moved on.
I was frustrated with the bags this morning and that did not seem the appropriate emotion for painting so I started on a refashion of a Lynn Mizono Vogue 1312 dress sewn several years ago. It's too big for me now so I'm turning it into a sweater coat starting with cutting up center front and adding a button band. The fabric I chose to go with is a grey/black check that had a selvage worth saving.
In the afternoon, I worked on the cardigan starting with white spirals randomly stenciled on the yoke. I wanted a darker element on top only I was TERRIFIED to just paint it on so I created the paisley stencil on a scrap of fabric and realized right away that it was too large so I....
... bravely applied one of the floral stencils attempting to get some areas lighter and some darker. I really like the layering of the two stencils.
The smaller group of floral elements was positioned off center so I added another singular flower to the left to create balance. The collar is stenciled with white spirals as well. It's only laid in place right now, not stitched, so this isn't exactly how it'll look in the end but you get the idea. Today, I'll stitch the shoulder seams and start working around to the front attempting to not overdo it and to maintain the simplicity of the design.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - painted progress