These two weeks of shadowing at the hair salon have gone well. I'm very hopeful that it's going to turn into an actual job. On Wednesday, I brought a mannequin home to cut and my boss said it was "excellent" which was especially wonderful to hear since I hadn't cut that style in thirty years. Last night, I cut another - slightly shorter - haircut. I'm hoping to get three or four done before I run out of hair on this mannequin. FUN!
I cut the image above out of a magazine when I was doing my birthday collage in June and don't know who the artist is. I think it's fabulous and a great starting point for my red and white textile art piece for the gallery show in January.
To work from an inspiration source like this, I isolate different parts of the original that make up an interesting composition and then decide which of those I want to take forward. The goal is not to copy the original which - of course - isn't even possible since I'm working in fabric and not in paint - but to create my own interpretation of the inspiration.
When I've decided which section I prefer, I then look at the details that appeal to me and make a list of them such as asymmetrical balance, soft lines, scribbles, barbwire imagery, focal and secondary focal points, high contrast, soft edges, and flow from horizontal to vertical placement.
I study the inspiration source for as long as it takes me to feel ready to move forward and then I let it go and don't refer back to it again. Above is my starting point, You can see that right now it's very similar to the inspiration however, as I respond to the developing piece, it will begin to take on a life of its own. When I finish, sometimes a hint of the original remains; sometimes is vastly different.
A couple of months ago, I layered and stitched a linen tablecloth with thread circles. One thought I'm evaluating is to add in some smooth sections of a white cotton fabric to make the design stand out and to create contrast within the background.
Another is to create some scribbled lines by using the thread ends saved while stitching the background. They could be stitched separately into thread lace and then applied or they could be stitched directly onto the developing piece. It all depends - LOL - on how it develops.
The fabrics are beautiful hand-dyed cottons that one of my students sent me. I'm really excited to be using them in a piece. I started by pressing all of them and then separating out a starting pile.
AND... some black. One artist I really admire says that all pieces should go from white to black. I agree. I find that having both black and white helps to add definition and light to the piece. This black is a binding that I removed from a quilt recycled earlier. The mottle reverse side is going to add an interesting visual texture as well. I don't know if the piece will be finished by the next posting but it definitely has to be finished by the middle of January. Which is good. Because some clothes ideas are also dancing in my head.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - positive feedback on the haircut