The work with the watercolor paintings is stuttering. I traced the shapes and then adhered the paper to balsam wood using a gel medium. As an adherent, it works really well and the resulting shapes are interesting however... they have a craft overtone that isn't the look I'm going for.
This white linen over batting over a shaped piece of plastic also has a craft overtone. I tried drawing on the fabric with pigment pens to see how the lines would look - not good - and then I covered the pen with the gel medium and although the pen is supposed to be waterproof, the ink ran slightly. The resulting piece was too hard to stitch through with a thread a needle which is a critical point for going forward so I painted over it with black paint to see how that would work and then...
... secured one of the watercolor bits on top of that. It's not as craft-ish as before but it's definitely not approaching elegant or sophisticated yet. I'll experiment with this technique some more because I love the way I can shape the plastic with steam and I love the colors and possibilities of the paintings.
One of my avoidance methods was to go to the post office which is across the street from the thrift store which is down the street from another thrift store. I bought this 100% cotton sweater for $1.00 because a friend of mine often buys and takes apart sweaters and then re-knits the yarn. It seemed like a fabulous way to buy good yarn cheap. In theory.
A dollar for an entire sweater of cotton yarn IS a really good deal except it took me an hour and a half to take the sweater apart and then another two hours to unravel just the sleeves. Because I'd occasionally cut the wrong thread, there are lots of stops and starts in these balls which means there will be a lot of stops and starts in the knitting. Was it worth it? I'm not sure. I definitely have more time than money but I'd rather spend my time doing something more exciting. I'll try unraveling another sweater just in case this one was more difficult than normal but otherwise, I prefer finding a good bargain on yarn.
I experimented with pendant shapes to go with the black and white necklace I am - still - working on. Diane - my coach - wanted me to work looser and to leave spaces in-between instead of wrapping the cords too tightly. I think all of these ideas have potential but especially the bottom two where more detail can be added to the white background in-between the black cording. The black shape is a piece of painted wood.
Here I experimented with the size of the pendant as well as different ideas for layouts. I opted away from using wood because I think it would be taking the easy way out instead of pushing through to figure out how to make a pendant I really like with fabric.
Way back in spring, I made a series of covered cords for knots that sat untied for months. This week, I told myself that I had to at least finish forming the knots... which I did... and now I need to tuck the ends in. The black ones should be quite useful - they're classic - but I think the batik ones are walking that craft/elegant line. I'm going to experiment with painting them.
With necklaces, there are pendants, chains, and closures. Each is a "scary" element if I allow it to be although my daughter asked what could I possibly be afraid of. Hmm... let me count the ways - LOL.
Also in spring, I bought a tie-dye rayon blouse to cut up for tying knots. It's predominately blue and since blue goes with the dress I'm working on, I - again - told myself that I needed to finish the knots and create a chain of some kind that will fit over my head. That eliminates the closure and makes a pendant optional. It seemed a way to move forward and that's the most important part.
Yesterday, I finished all the tie-dye knots so I'm ready to start putting together the elements. I want to finish the piece before the weekend so I can send pictures of it along with my report and discuss it in my next coaching session - on Tuesday. And maybe a picture of the dress. It's almost finished too. I need to hem the skirt, sew it to the bodice, and add the sleeves. It certainly takes longer to make one thing when you working on multiple things at a time... and procrastinating... and experimenting.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - a tenant that seems quite wonderful, moving in on the 6th