The sunshine went away. It's been snowing like crazy for the past few days and more snow is predicted for next week... which I choose to translate to mean more studio time. I'm starting to find more of a rhythm with work and home and I know the balance of the two will come more naturally as time goes along.
Above is my version of Lynn Mizono's Vogue 1312 sewn quite a few years ago - probably in late 2012 or early 2013 judging by where the picture was taken. The fabric is a knit that I bought in the bargain center for $2.00 a meter. When I washed it, a subtle stripe appeared. I've washed things out of a fabric but this was the first time I washed something in. The fabric is quite heavy so even though I enjoyed it as a dress, it will perhaps be even better...
... refashioned from a dress to a sweater coat. I started by cutting up center front and then working step by step to evolve the piece. The two more difficult areas that I had to work through were adding the cuffs to convert from three-quarter to full sleeves and filling in the front neckline.
The check fabric is a wool blend from a menswear collection that was also bought in the bargain center. I mimicked the shape of the front neckline with a yoke at the back and transferred the collar/hood from Marcy Tilton's out-of-print Vogue 8752. Hoods are - apparently - quite in style this year so that was a happy coincidence.
The hood is shaped with a center back seam and darts and looks like a collar from the front and a hood from the back. I like the way it sits and how the points echo the points on the bottom of the skirt.
The cuffs were the most difficult part of the refashion. I tried several ideas and eventually added the lace to blend the lengths. That led to adding lace to the yoke and button band as well. At first...
... I didn't stitch the lace along the full length of the button band but that looked too country-ish for me. The extended length works better. I also stitched a braid in place over the raw edge of the (trimmed narrower) lace and sewed that to the bottom of the sleeves as well. I like the way it cupped the hemline and further blended the cuffs in although I'm not too sure of the knotted choice I made for finishing the ends. It works at the edge of the button band but not as well on the sleeve. I may untie the knots, overlap the edges, and sew a small button in place. I'll see how it wears first.
The refashioned dress was a fun project and I'm happy to have it finished. I had a few more projects on teh go at the same time than I'm comfortable with having so I'm working my way through them and finishing up things. Next is the Snowland cardigan. I liked the combination of the two yarns where the pink and the hand-dyed orange mixed but not where the pink and the beige-green parts of the hand-dyed yarn mixed. It was a (not pleasant) surprise when the yarn unfolded into these other colors. Right now, the cardigan is in a crimson dye bath and I'll see what happens.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - snug studio days