It's no secret that I like statement necklaces. I'm also rather fond of rings with bling. One of the waitresses who works at my favourite breakfast restaurant is equally fond of them. We're constantly sharing what we're wearing and yesterday, we were comparing notes on consignment stores in neighbouring communities as well as the new one downtown where...
... I found this Silpada Designs ring called Queen For A Day. The shop owner said she could have sold it a dozen times over only it's so small it doesn't fit anyone... except it fit me... YES YES.
I've been working on one of the assignments Diane gave me in our last coaching session which was to take three different jewelry starts and work on each one for an hour to see what develops. I chose three that have been tickling for a while. The first was a metal disc picked up in the clearance bin at Michaels quite a few years ago. There were a dozen in the bag for a couple bucks which makes it a great element to practice and perfect.
The necklace is a combination of fabric strips, plastic tubing, the metal disc, a bail, buttons, black primer, and silver paint put together with glue.
The magnetic closure I wanted to recycle didn't fit onto the wrapped cord so I created a button and loop closure by wrapping the ends.
I've worn the piece several times and it's getting great review. A few people have even stopped me walking by to ask questions about it. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.
The second piece started with the inside core of a thread spool and some scraps of painted fabric. I zigzagged the fabric edges with metallic thread and then glued the strip to the spool. That's as far as the piece has come for now.
If I use five spools, it will be about the same size as the pendant on another necklace. Right now, I'm debating using three spools and some spacer beads only...
... I think some wire wrapped elements would be wonderful only that's a journey I'm just beginning. Finally. I've been talking about wire wrapping for quite a while with little bits of research here and there and nothing really happening until now. It could have been frustrating except that I've learned from past experience that this is my way. I talk and talk and wish and wish and gather and research and then - when the time is right - I begin. This weekend, I started working through Wire Weaving Bracelets: Basics and Beyond with Sarah Thompson. I'm on lesson three and it's VERY well done.
The first practice piece is a multi-coloured bracelet using a modified soumak weave. The supplies I have are whatever I could find that may work at the hardware store and not the right stuff however, they're good for getting going. I started practicing with a copper wire that was too thick and wouldn't straighten and then...
... tried again using stainless steel wire wrapped with brass wire. They are closer to what the supply list calls for however, the shape is all wibbly wobbly. In the pictures, I can see my mistakes although, up close it wasn't so easy. I'll need better lighting and perhaps a magnifying glass and even so... this is fun... and definitely addictive... and all sorts of ideas are brewing in my brain for combining other elements. It seems... just maybe... that I have finally found my jewelry form. I'm planning to finish the lessons and make the different practice projects - all bracelets - and then look at necklace possibilities. Perhaps by then I'll have an idea for thread spools and wire wrapping.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - beginning