There are so many fires in British Columbia right now that the sky is often filled with smoke making it difficult not only to see but to breathe. When smoke obscures the sun, the light is different with a strange glow. It's an eerie feeling. As you go about your day, you're constantly aware that somewhere relatively nearby is smoke and danger - a looming shadow. Yesterday, the sky was clear, the sun shone, and I spent the afternoon visiting with a friend - a nice break.
With all the busyness and noise of the renovations in progress, I've been working on tedious tasks where I don't have to think too much. This week, I finished gathering the bed skirt for our room and recovered the seat of an ice-cream parlour chair that I'd bought years ago for my daughter's room. The original cover is a dirty, torn leather and my daughter's cover was a combination of pink and green. This time...
... I used one of the piece of canvas I'd painted several years ago when I was started to experiment with fabric painting and surface design. I started by making a template of the top, adding a seam allowance, and cutting it from an interfaced section of the fabric.
For the side piece, I measured the diameter and depth of the seat plus an added piece of foam for a bit more cushy. It's not a fine science so I pin fitted and kept altering the diameter until I liked the way it fit the top correctly.
For the bottom edge, I created a casing and then used shoe-lacing to pull it in snug to the bottom of the chair. I tied it with a knot and then tucked the ends inside. This way, I can take the cover off and easily launder it.
The wooden underside of the cushion is screwed to the metal frame of the chair to keep it secure and safe. I like the finished piece although I'm waiting until the room is finished before I add a layer of was just in case I want to add any more colours. It's going in the kitchen near the barn wood table that I'll be using as an island.
The next tedious task is to finish the quilt for our bed that I started either late in 2015 or early in 2016 by cutting a king size duvet cover into strips and quilting them individually. The next step is to piece the strips together to form the entire quilt top and then add the binding around the edges. One side of each seam will need to be hand stitched so I'm hoping to have them together by Monday for when the electrician is adding a new sub-panel and the power will be turned off. No electricity is great hand stitching time.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - two tedious tasks done