Yesterday morning, two friends came over on their way to work, sat on the couch, and participated in a mini trunk show of all the garments and accessories made for my trip. I wore one outfit and then used the dressforms to display the other pieces like an exhibit. FUN - and great to get feedback on all the work.
After stitching the orange cording halfway around the bracelet, I decided it was too intense and took away from the rest of the work so I removed it and instead zigzag stitched with orange over a blue cording and then wrapped that around the bracelet. It was just enough to merge the edges with the inside and bring the piece together. I'm really pleased with it.
The bracelet is the jewelry piece for the turquoise vest and t-shirt and hand painted pants outfit. As I described in the last posting, I evolved the collar forward into a mandarin collar and then didn't like that and starting playing with ideas for another one - the third - and final - variation. I'm not going to bore you with all the details or I'd be writing forever but it I will say it's always worth the work to attempt to move something you don't like forward into something you do. Even if it doesn't succeed, you weren't going to wear it anyway and the fabric can still become something even more again. I'll be using these remnants for jewelry.
Looking for inspiration online, I was most attracted to vests with a more open neckline rather than one that buttons closed or feels constraining so I opted for a traditional V-neck and...
... edited the collar once again taking off the second version and reshaping and refinishing the neckline. I used self-made bias to finish the edge and then vintage buttons that I've had in stash for quite a long time. That's one of the reasons why I washed the chalk marks out first before sewing on the buttons. I'm not sure if they are actually machine washable.
This is the vest to date. I may add a few more details later on but for now I'm pleased with how it has evolved and how it looks with the t-shirt and the pants. This is also the outfit with the orange shoes and it's a fun one to wear.
After my guests left, I tried on all the outfits to determine what undergarments were necessary and any adjustments, put what I could with the garments, and made a list of the things that need to be finished. There's not much left to do.
The outfit I wore was the one that I was the least confident with - as a test - because I don't want to spend a day of my holiday in an uncomfortable outfit. Good thing. By the time I had even finished putting on my make-up, I'd taken the shirt off. I kept pulling it down and adjusting it and wasn't at all comfortable. Instead of assuming I'd need to sew something else, I first tried it with the linen top I'd rejected earlier and because the sweater - worn open - has a similar neckline, it worked and the colours are all pulled together nicely in the shoes and with the topstitching on the denim trousers.
Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - using a lot of souvenier items in these outfits and enjoying the memories